Some things Tom Waits wonders about:
- Is there a plug at the bottom of the ocean?
- What do jockeys say to their horses?
- How does it feel to be a tree by the freeway?
- When is the world going to rear up and scrape us off its back?
- Is a diamond just a piece of coal with patience?
To be statuesque is not to be cool but to weather. Rot and decay have no hold on me. I am still.
I’m sitting miles away and maybe I’m drunk maybe I don’t miss anything but the tender way you sounded when you said my name.
Maybe I just want to hear my name wanted, not required. Maybe I’m going to keep drinking because as much as I want to be saved I’m too afraid to rely on anyone but me.
And even I suck. I don’t trust me. So maybe the whiskey doesn’t love me like I love it but, I edit this when I care